Smashed windows, bloody hearts and 944 points: The last flight of the Western Suburbs Magpies

Lots of good stuff in this article and relatable to any of us that lived through the greed that tried to steal our game.

A couple of historical inaccuracies about which teams were introduced when though and too much face value applied to the criteria that decided who was in and out of the first NRL. That criteria was very selectively (corruptly) applied.

Lots of good stuff in this article and relatable to any of us that lived through the greed that tried to steal our game.

A couple of historical inaccuracies about which teams were introduced when though and too much face value applied to the criteria that decided who was in and out of the first NRL. That criteria was very selectively (corruptly) applied.
I totally agree with you MaroonTitan

Look at the clubs who bite the bullet or were merged. All ARL aligned and zero Super League.

Balmain and Wests MERGED
Norths gone after the failed merger with Manly
Illawarra merged with St George but have almost ceased to be.

Super League cut Adelaide and Perth because they never cared about expansion and more importantly those tv markets (for RL).

I’m current reading Two Tribes by Steve Mascord about the whole mess.

It was really sick how the ARL brought in four teams and almost immediately the Warriors, Cowboys and Perths turned on the game and went to Super League.

It’s all part of the reason why I’m a former Broncos fan. And a reason why I support the Titans. For a period of time I actually had no NRL team to follow.

And Souths were right to fight against that BS criteria. Grants from Souths Jnrs not allowed to be counted but News Ltd money drops were fine. What a horrible period.

Let's not forget the Crushers or the Chargers (or for that matter the Mariners lol) in that fruit salad AND what about International? The fact that the UK still use Stupid League is an abhorrence. At least Port Moresby alone stood up to Bennett and Ribot de Brittlesack, those were the halcyon days.

Back
Top Bottom